Friday, April 8, 2011

Minor but annoying TS2 issue

It's raining today so no ride. I save riding in the rain for tours if at all possible:) So instead here is an issues Trident needs to address. It's minor, but small issues leave a less than satisfied feeling about quality.

I found these little broken O-rings on the porch and sidewalk in front of the house. At first I thought the cable guy who was here a few days ago must have dropped them.
Broken O-rings used on TS2

Then yesterday it hit me, these are the O-rings Trident uses to secure the brake cables to the tie rods. The pictured O-ring is ready to break, it has many small cracks like dry rot.  I would not be surprised if it breaks by morning, or more likely the next ride where it gets stretched when turning.
O-ring brake cable support TS2

I remember thinking about this before I bought the trike. This is an improper use of O-rings, they are supposed to be supported and compressed to seal a joint to keep, typically, fluids from leaking, so naturally these break after only a few miles.

I'll just use a few zip ties to keep the cables from hanging low and possibly snagging on things. I do a little off road and run over small branches and twigs. I don't want to have to worry about the brake cables,  I already need to keep the rear derailleur in mind since in low gear is hangs only about 1 inch off the ground. The zip ties will degrade and break also do to UV but it should take years not days.

Anarchist Thought:
"The graveyards are full of indispensable men." Charles De Gaulle.

No comments:

Post a Comment